synonyms: cervical strain
A- initial encounter
D- subsequent encounter
- 847.0 (spains and strains of unspecified parts of back; cervical; whiplash injury)
Whiplash Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Pain may be related to facet joint injury.
- Generally seen after MVA of falls.
Whiplash Clinical Evaluation
- Facet joint pain is typically worse with extension and improved with flexion.
- Neck pain, cervical muscle spasm, may have radicular symptoms.
- Generally have limited cervical ROM
Whiplash Xray / Diagnositc Tests
Whiplash Classification / Treatment
- Ice, NSAIDs, muscle relaxants, may consider cervical collar.
- Bracing may be detrimental (Borchgrevink GE, Spine 1998;23:25).
Whiplash Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
Whiplash Follow-up Care
Whiplash Review References