Trigger Point ICD-9
Trigger Point Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Discrete, focal, hyperirritable nodules located in taut bands of skeletal muscle
- Myofascial pain syndrome is a painful muscle disorder caused by multiple myofascial trigger points.
Trigger Point Anatomy
Trigger Point Clinical Evaluation
- Focal tender nodule can be palpated within a muscle. Trigger points are painful with compression and may cause referred pain, motor dysfunction and autonomic phenomena.
- Often associated with muscles which under repetitive strain such as in sports: pitcher's elbow, golf shoulder.
Trigger Point Xray / Diagnositc Tests
- Xrays of affected areas are normal.
Trigger Point Classification / Treatment
- Massage, acupuncture, heat/ice, ultrasonography, TENs, elthyl chloride Spray Stretch technique, dry needling, trigger point injections.
Trigger Point Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
Trigger Point Complications
Trigger Point Follow-up Care
Trigger Point Review References