Synovial Chondromatosis ICD-10
- M67.88 Other specified disorders of synovium and tendon, other site
Synovial Chondromatosis Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Benign, tumerous, multifocal, chondromatous, or chondro-osseous metaplastic proliferation involving the subsynovial connective tissue of joints, tendon sheaths or bursae.
- Can produce multiple loose bodies which may be entirely cartilaginous, or may include typical loose bodies with an osseous component.
Synovial Chondromatosis Anatomy
- See anatomy of affect joint
Synovial Chondromatosis Clinical Evaluation
- Pain and loss of motion in affected joint.
- May have parasthesias from associated compressive nerve palsy
- May cause catching or intermittent locking of affected joint.
Synovial Chondromatosis Xray / Diagnositc Tests
- A/P and lateral films of affected joint
Synovial Chondromatosis Classification / Treatment
- Treatment: arthropscopic removal of loose bodies with limited / major synovectomy.
Synovial Chondromatosis Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
- Nerve Palsy (elbow=associated PIN/median/ulnar nerve palsies have been reported)
Synovial Chondromatosis Complications
Synovial Chondromatosis Follow-up Care
Synovial Chondromatosis Review References
- Mueller T, et al. Primary synovial chondromatosis of the elbow. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2000; 9(4):319 – 22.
- Kamineni S, O’Driscoll SW, Morrey BF. Synovial osteochondromatosis of the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002;84(7):961– 6.
- Yanagisawa H, Okada K, Sashi R. Posterior interosseous nerve palsy caused by synovial chondromatosis of the elbow joint. Clin Radiol 2001;56(6):510
- Nogueira A, et al. Synovial osteochondromatosis at the elbow producing ulnar and median nerve palsy. Case report and review of the literature. Chir Main 1999;18(2):108–14.