Phase (0 to 14 days)
- Elbow active ROM and active-assisted ROM for flexion and extension. Goal is 15° to 105° of motion by 14 days. Avoid flexion in pronation and any valgus loads on the elbow. ROM should be performed with the arm adducted close to the body.
- Consider extension splinting per surgeons instruction.
- Putty/grip exercises.
- Isometric strengthening exercises for the elbow and wrist.
Phase II (15 days to 6 weeks)
- Continue elbow active and active assisted ROM exercises.
- Full flexion and extension ROM should be achieved by the end of 6 weeks.
- Begin active and active assisted supination and pronation.
- Begin light isotonic strengthening of flexion and extension.
- Maintain shoulder, wrist, hand strength and ROM.
Phase III (7-12 weeks)
- Continue active and active assisted supination and pronation.
- Full pronation and supination should be achieved by the end of the 8th week.
- Progressively increase isotonic strengthening in flexion/extension and pronation/supination.
- Work on any deficits.