synonyms:Prepatellar Bursitis, housemaid's knee
Prepatellar Bursitis ICD-10
Prepatellar Bursitis ICD-9
- 726.65 (Prepatellar bursitis)
Prepatellar Bursitis Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Commonly found in people who are constantly working on their knees; constuction workers, carpet layers, plumbers, electricians, gardeners
- May occur from trauma to the knee
- Associated with: football, wrestling, basketball
Prepatellar Bursitis Anatomy
- Prepatellar bursa lies between the skin and the patella.
Prepatellar Bursitis Clinical Evaluation
- Subcutaneous swelling anterior to the patella.
- Aspiration indicated if Pyogenic bursitis is suspected.
Prepatellar Bursitis Xray / Diagnositc Tests
Prepatellar Bursitis Classification / Treatment
- Ice, NSAIDs, compression, activity modifications, consider aspiration.
- Chronic bursitis: bursectomy (open or arthroscopic).
- Pyogenic: order CBC, ESR, CRP, I&D, IV antibiotics, Infectious Disease consult.
Prepatellar Bursitis Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
Prepatellar Bursitis Complications
Prepatellar Bursitis Follow-up Care
- Recurrence is not uncommon.
- Prevention: knee pads, avoid constant/prolonged pressure on the knees and kneeling.
Prepatellar Bursitis Review References
- Aaron, DL, JAAOS 2011;19:359