synonyms:Albers-Schonberg disease, Osteopetrosis
- ICD-9 Code:756.52Osteopetrosis
Osteopetrosis Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Caused by an inability of the osteoclast to acidify Howship's lacuna.
- Lack of hydrochloric acid causes incomplete dissolution of hydroxyapatite and incomplete remodeling.
- Osteoblast activity is normal.
Osteopetrosis Clinical Evaluation
- Often not diagnosed until a fracture occurs
Osteopetrosis Xray / Diagnositc Tests
Osteopetrosis Classification / Treatment
Osteopetrosis Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
Osteopetrosis Follow-up Care
Osteopetrosis Review References
- Landa J, Margolis N, Di Cesare P. Orthopaedic management of the patient with osteopetrosis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2007 Nov;15(11):654-62
- Armstrong DG, Newfield JT, Gillespie R. Orthopedic management of osteopetrosis: results of a survey and review of the literature. J Pediatr Orthop. 1999 Jan-Feb;19(1):122-32.