synonyms:lateral release, patellofemoral pain surgery, patellofemoral release
Lateral Release CPT
Lateral Release Indications
- Symptomatic tight lateral retinaculum which has failed to improve with nonoperative management.
- Symptomatic bipartite patella
Lateral Release Contraindications
- Hypermobility of the patella.
Lateral Release Alternatives
- Patellofemoral bracing
- Physical therapy
Lateral Release Planning / Special Considerations
- Passive lateral patellar tilt should be <5° for best outcomes.
Lateral Release Technique
Lateral Release Complications
- Iatrogenic medial patellar subluxation: corrected with reconstruction of the lateral patello-femoral ligament????
Lateral Release Follow-up care
Lateral Release Outcomes
- 80% of patients have reduction in pain (Aderinto J, Arthroscopy 2002;18:339).
Lateral Release Review References