synonyms: squeakers, intersection syndrome
Intersection Syndrome ICD-10
Intersection Syndrome ICD-9
- 727.05 Other tenosynovitis of hand and wrist
Intersection Syndrome Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Inflammation at the crossing of the first dorsal compartment muscles (APL, EPB) and the radial wrist extensor muscles (ECRB, ECRL) which causes dorsoradial wrist pain.
Intersection Syndrome Anatomy
- The APL and EPB cross the ECRB and ECRL 4-6cm proximal to Lister's tubercle (Grundgerg AB, J Hand Surg 1985;10Am:A299)
Intersection Syndrome Clinical Evaluation
- Tenderness and swelling at the intersection point 4-6cm proximal to radiocarpal joint.
- Commonly associated with crepitus with wrist motion.
- Associated with rowing sports, racquet sports, weight lifters.
Intersection Syndrome Diagnositc Tests
Intersection Syndrome Classification / Treatment
- Acute: cock-up wrist splint, nsaids, acitivity modification.
- Subacute (patients who have failed acute management): Corticosteriod injection at the intersection point.
- Chronic (patients who have 2 or more injections): Surgical release at the intersection point with debridement of the bursa
Intersection Syndrome Associated InjuriesIntersection Syndrome / Differential Diagnosis
Intersection Syndrome Complications
Intersection Syndrome Follow-up Care
Intersection Syndrome Review References