synonyms:hip arthrodesis, hip fusion
Hip Arthrodesis CPT
Hip Arthrodesis Indications
- Young active patient with severe acquired of developmental hip disease.
Hip Arthrodesis Contraindications
- Pain / disease in the lumbar spin, ipsilateral knee, or contralateral hip
Hip Arthrodesis Alternatives
Hip Arthrodesis Pre-op Planning
- Optimal postion for arthrodesis = 5°-10° external rotation; 20°-30° flexion and nuetral adduction.
Hip Arthrodesis Technique
- Sign operative site.
- Pre-operative antibiotics, +/- regional block.
- General endotracheal anesthesia
- position. All bony prominences well padded.
- Examination under anesthesia.
- Prep and drape in standard sterile fashion.
- Close in layers.
Hip Arthrodesis Complications
- Osteoarthritis of the lumbar spine or knee.
- Painful hardware
- Compartment Syndrome
- DVT / PE
- Heterotopic Ossification
Hip Arthrodesis Follow-up care
- 7-10 Days:
- 6 Weeks:
- 3 Months:
- 6 Months:
Hip Arthrodesis Outcomes
- 30% increased energy expenditure for ambulation.
Hip Arthrodesis Review References