Guilian-Barre Syndrome ICD-10
- G61.0 Guillain-Barre syndrome
- G65.0 Sequelae of Guillain-Barre syndrome
Guilian-Barre Syndrome ICD-9
- 357.0 Acute infective polyneuritis Guillain-Barre syndrome
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Immune-mediated segmetal peripheral nerve demyelination.
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Anatomy
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Clinical Evaluation
- Loss of deep tendon reflexes, vague numbness and tingling, progressive weakness disporportionate to sensory loss.
- May have back pain.
- Symptoms often preceeded by upper respiratory illness, or GI infection.
- Weakness progresses over hours to days, reaching its maximum after several weaks.
- May progress to complete paralysis.
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Xray / Diagnositc Tests
- EMG/NCV: demonstrates conduciton slowing and conduction block. Sural sparing on EMG/NCV.
- Elevated spinal fluid protein without pleocytosis.
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Classification / Treatment
- Hospitalization for monitoring, may require ventilatory support.
- Plasmapheresis, intravenous immunoglobulin therapy shorten the duration of illess (Lancet 1997;349:225).
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Complications
- Mortality generally from respiratory compromise.
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Follow-up Care
- Referral to internist for medical management.
Guillain-Barre Syndrome Review References