Continue active and active assisted supination and pronation.
Full pronation and supination should be achieved by the end of the 8th week.
Progressively increase isotonic strengthening in flexion/extension and pronation/supination.
Work on any deficits.
Program must be modified based on actual procedures performed during surgery.
Phase (0 to 14 days)
- Elbow active ROM and active-assisted ROM for flexion and extension. Goal is 15 to 105 degrees of motion by 14 days. Avoid flexion in pronation and any valgus loads on the elbow. ROM should be performed with the arm adducted close to the body.
- Consider extension splinting per surgeons instruction.
- Putty/grip exercises.
- Isometric strengthening exercises for the elbow and wrist.
Phase II (15 days to 6 weeks)
- Continue elbow active and active assisted ROM exercises.
- Full flexion and extension ROM should be achieved by the end of 6 weeks.
- Begin active and active assisted supination and pronation.
- Begin light isotonic strengthening of flexion and extension.
- Maintain shoulder, wrist, hand strength and ROM.
Phase III (7-12 weeks)
Elbow Scope Review References
- O’Driscoll, JBJS 74A:84 1992
- Abboud JA, JAAOS 2006;14:312