Synonyms: Bone island, enostosis
Bone Island ICD-10
- M89.8X8 Other specified disorders of bone, other site
- See all
- Benign bone tumor encountered as an incidental, asymptomatic finding.
- Most commonly involves: pelvis, ribs and proximal femur; affecting the epiphysis or metaphysis.
- Differential diagnosis: sclerotic metastatic lesions, osteoid osteoma, sclerotic osteosarcoma, calcified enchondroma, bone infarct.
Bone Island Diagnostic Tests
- Xray: round to oval and sclerotic lesions, without a periosteal reaction or bony destruction. Periphery has "feather-like spicules", resembling a "brush border”.
- CT: blastic lesion, without periosteal reaction with radiating spicules
- MRI: hypointense on both T1 and T2 weighted MR images.
Bone Island Treatment
- Stable lesions do not require treatment.
- Follow-up for questionable lesions with repeat x-ray and/or CT scans at 1, 3, 6, 12 months.