synonyms: anterior superior iliac spine avulsion fracture, ASIS avulsion fracture
ASIS Avulsion ICD-10
ASIS Avulsion ICD-9
ASIS Avulsion Etiology / Epidemiology / Natural History
- Caused by sudden, forceful contraction of the sartorius and tensor fascia lata usually with the hip extended and knee flexed.
- Generally adolescent athletes: baseball, sprinting.
ASIS Avulsion Anatomy
ASIS Avulsion Clinical Evaluation
- C/o pain over the ASIS. Generally noted snap or pop at time of injury.
ASIS Avulsion Xray / Diagnositc Tests
- A/P pelvis generally demonstrates displaced fractures.
- Consider MRI/CT is diagnosis is suspected, but not evident on plain films.
ASIS Avulsion Classification / Treatment
- Nondisplaced (<2cm displacement): rest and protected weight bearing;
- Displaced (>3cm displacement): surgical repair.
- ASIS nonunion: surgical repair.
ASIS Avulsion Associated Injuries / Differential Diagnosis
ASIS Avulsion Complications
ASIS Avulsion Follow-up Care
ASIS Avulsion Review References
- White KK, JPO 2002;22:578