Insertion Antibiotic Beads / Cement / Drug-Delivery Device CPT Coding
Removal Antibiotic Beads / Cement / Drug-Delivery Device CPT Coding
Antibiotic cement / Antibiotic beads
- Commercially available pre-mixed antibiotic cement is low-dose and indicated for prophylaxis, not treatment of infection.
- High dose:. 3.6g tobramycin and 1g vancomycin per 40g of bone cement. (Penner MJ, J Arthroplasty 1996;11:939).
- Alternate mixture: 3 bags cement, 4 grams vancomycin, 4 grams ceftazidime (Backstein D, AAOS Annual meeting 2014)
- Addition of more than 4.5 g of powder substantially weakens bone cement;
- Approx 8 grams of antibiotic powder per 40 gm of cement is the highest amount that can be added
- See also Wheeles antibiotic cement notes.
- See also AAOSnow July 2022