Sport Specific Injuries
Ballet / Dancing Injuries
- Injury rate = 1/350 to 1/1,000 riding hours. 15%-27% of injuries are severe enough for hospital admission.
- Spondylolysis: cervical and lumbar.
- Clavicle fracture
- Petridou E, J Trauma 2004;56:643; Lim J, ANZ J Surg 2003;73:567
Figure Skating Injuries
-45.5% of professional hockey players will have radiographic abnormalities of the clavicle (Norfray AF, AJSM 1977;5:275).
Snow skiing Injuries
Water Skiing / Wakeboarding Injuries
- Hamstring Rupture (water skiing)
- Head Injury (more common in wakeboarding) (Hostetler SG, AJSM 2005;33:1065).
- Lower extremity sprains
- Lacerations (most commonly facial)
Weight Lifting / Body Building Injuries
- Impetigo Contagiosa: bacterial infection spread by direct skin contact; generally from staph or strep. Appears as vesicles on erythematous base that may coalesce with hellow drainage, honey-colored crusting. RX: small areas=bactroban cream; large areas=PO cephalexin / dicloxacillin / erythromycin.
- Olecranon bursitis
- AOSSM Wrestling